Monday, March 1, 2010

The journey begins.....

I love to travel. I love adventure and the excitement of the unknown. I need a road trip at least every six months or I start to shake and search my calender for an open weekend like an addict fiending for a fix. I also love to write. I am a senior at Rowan University majoring in Writing Arts. As a senior I am thinking a lot about the future, and where I will be next year. I love to travel so much that I am searching for jobs on the west coast just so that I can ensure a nice long trip across the country. Since traveling and writing are two of my greatest passions in life, I started to wonder if maybe I could combine them into a career.

Through this blog I hope to get an idea of what the travel writing industry is like, and if it might be a path that I could go down in the future.

The first thing I found when I searched around online for travel writing information was this great blog on GoBackpacking.com

This blog seems to be more about promoting travel than travel writing. There is a link to some information on how to make money with a travel blog. This link leads to a newly formed site called Travel Blog Success The site was created by David Lee, the founder of Go Backpacking. I love reading his blogs on the site, and hearing all about his travels. Travel Blog Success is providing a service that claims to help make your travel blog successful and have a bigger readership. This success comes at a price, a total of 87 dollars to be exact. I'm not sure that I would spend that money in this stage of the game to get my blog off the ground. But it is good to know that this service is available. We all think that we can be bloggers with just a keyboard and our imaginations, but to be successful we may need a little help, so it is nice to know that it is out there.
I checked out the contributors to the Go Backpacking site and found this blog, which looks like it would be a lot of fun to read. It seems like today a lot of travel writing is done through blogs and websites, so I wonder if there really is any money in travel writing? Maybe the money comes from the advertising that is found on the blogs?

Well, my search continues. I hope to keep researching and find some tips on how to make travel writing my career!


Alvarez, D.E. (2010, January). Around the world in 340 days. Retrieved from http://www.danielleabroad.com/

Go backpacking. (2010). Retrieved from http://www.gobackpacking.com/Blog/

Lee, David. (2009). Travel blog success. Retrieved from http://travelblogsuccess.com/about/

No comments:

Post a Comment