Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Is video killing the writing star???

I have noticed in my research of travel writing online, that video seems to be taking over. Video blogs, otherwise known as vlogs, and videos posted to travel writing blogs are becoming more and more common. Of course it is a lot of fun to watch a video about a destination, so it is no wonder these are becoming popular. It is a great way to see exactly what the place is like, and to imagine yourself there.

I wonder if videos will soon take over and writing won't be as popular. Watching videos is faster, and shows you the real picture of the place, rather than creating one in your head while reading someone else's words.

GoBackpacking.com has posted links to many videos, including this one on Cuba created a cinematographer named Van Royko.

This video doesn't have any narration at all. Nothing is written except the song that plays along with the video, yet we get a real sense of what life is like in Cuba. Pictures can be wonderful as well, but maybe movies are the next step in really seeing a destination.


Many people are taking their home videos, and turning them into travel vlogs. Travelistic.com has an amazing collection of travel videos from around the world. You can check out a video that someone has posted from a destination that you love, or you can join the fun and upload your own video!

Anyone can post a video, and anyone can comment on them.
Here is a great one posted by nobananas003 all about the Doheny Tide Pools in Dana Point, California.



I just learned about a place I had never even heard of, right here in the U.S. I love traveling the United States, and it is videos like these that show me that I don't have to travel to another country to find interesting places to write about, or to vlog about!

Of course if I do ever travel to other countries, these next videos I found move France to the top of my list.

This site has a very a catchy title: Lost in Francelation . This site seems dedicated to showing France through videos that are created to look more like a TV show than a home video. These videos are narrated, so at least here perhaps something is still being written down!


I hope that videos don't take over the travel writing industry altogether, but I do really enjoy watching them.

To conclude today's post I will leave you with my favorite travel video so far. I found this one on Tripfilms.com. Last year during Spring Break I traveled to Phoenix, Arizona to visit a friend. I wish I would have known about this place, because it seems like a hilarious way to spend an afternoon in Arizona!!


Watch more Picacho videos at tripfilms.com



ealfredo. (2009, December 2). Rooster cogburn ostrich ranch. Retrieved from http://www.tripfilms.com/Travel_Video-v71394-Picacho-Rooster_Cogburn_Ostrich_Ranch-Video.html


France Guide. (2002-2006). Lost in francelation. Retrieved from http://us.franceguide.com/Edito.html?NodeID=152&EditoID=68925

nobananas003. (2007, December 8). Travelistic. Retrieved from http://www.travelistic.com/video/show/7892/Doheny-Tide-Pools

Royko, V. (2010, March 13). Gobackpacking. Retrieved from http://www.gobackpacking.com/Blog/2010/03/13/cuba-video-habana-vieja/

No comments:

Post a Comment